Following his meeting with Chinese Vice Premier Liu, President Trump told reporters that there was a very good chance that a deal could be made.
Key quotes (via Reuters)
- He and China’s Xi will ultimately make the biggest decisions on trade.
- We expect to have a meeting in the not too distant future.
- He and Xi will perhaps work out the final points and perhaps not.
- U.S. and China are having very good talks on trade.
- If there is a deal, tariffs will not have to go up.
- We are doing well for farmers, it will be the biggest farm deal ever made.
- The relationship has been good, but who knows whether a deal will be made.
- Will discuss final terms with Xi.
- The round of negotiations has been extended because of the progress being made.
- If he sees progress being made, it would not be inappropriate to extend the March 1 deadline and he would be inclined to do that.
- Any extension of trade deadline would not have to be long.
- We may or may not include Huawei and Zte in the deal with China.
- We have a deal with China on currency manipulation.